Ian Harte has been ruled out for three matches after breaking two bones in his hand during his Carlisle debut.
The 31-year-old former Republic of Ireland international defender visited a specialist on Wednesday after suffering the fractured metacarpals in the 1-1 draw with Northampton and was told he will need a full cast for at least two weeks.
"We did inquire about the possibility of a half cast for match day, but, obviously, it always has to be the case that correct treatment for the injury takes precedence," physio Neil Dalton told the club's official website.
He added: "He'll miss the next three games and then we'll reassess the situation thereafter."
Harte joined United last week following over 250 appearances for Leeds and subsequent spells with Levante, Sunderland and most recently Blackpool.
The left-back is set to return for the April 18 clash with Swindon.
Copyright (c) PA Sport 2009, All Rights Reserved.
Do YOU want to write for GiveMeSport? Get started today by signing-up and submitting an article HERE: http://gms.to/writeforgms