Robinho insists he was never affected by the sexual assault accusation levelled against him earlier this season.
The Manchester City striker has subsequently been told he will face no charges over the allegation - raised following a visit to a Leeds nightclub in January - but it seemed to be no coincidence that until last Sunday's win against West Brom at Eastlands, Robinho had not scored a goal in 2009.
But the 25-year-old claims it was nothing to do with his off-field concerns as he told Key 103: "The Leeds incident was a bad thing to happen, particularly taking into account I did nothing wrong. I carried on with my life and playing football as though nothing had happened."
He added: "That is the way it was. That is the way it had to be. My lack of goals or form had nothing to do with that."
Bought from Real Madrid for a British record fee of Â£32.5million, Robinho is used to being the centre of attention.
His arrival is one of the reasons City have been so intensely scrutinised this season, with not all the comments about Robinho's contribution being favourable.
Yet it seems the striker has enjoyed his first season in the Premier League and, having pledged his future to the Eastlands outfit, feels he will benefit from the experience next term.
"The Premier League is very strong, physical football and I am not a strong player," he said.
"But fortunately I was able to adapt quite quickly taking into account that I was used to playing a different type of football.
"I hope next year I will be even better because I will know what to expect."
Copyright (c) PA Sport 2009, All Rights Reserved.
Do YOU want to write for GiveMeSport? Get started today by signing-up and submitting an article HERE: http://gms.to/writeforgms