Zinedine Zidane claims negotiations to bring Bayern Munich playmaker Franck Ribery to Real Madrid are "on the right track".
Ribery has long been linked with a move to the Bernabeu but his departure from Bayern appeared to hit a snag on Wednesday when the Bundesliga club issued a statement insisting the France international was not for sale. But Zidane, who was brought in by returning president Florentino Perez as a special advisor at Madrid, has revealed the Spanish giants have not been put off by Bayern's stance.
"The discussions are on the right track," he told Le Parisien. "Even if I am not at Madrid, there are meetings on this matter at the moment. Personally, I am for Ribery coming to Madrid and I will do everything to make that happen. It's my wish as much as that of the club's president."
The club have, meanwhile, denied media reports suggesting they have faxed English clubs a list of players that are available for transfer.
It has been reported that Madrid have contacted a number of Premier League outfits to make them aware of which players are up for sale as the Spanish giants look to make room for the host of new signings they are set to make this summer.
However, Madrid have dismissed those claims in a statement, declaring: "Real Madrid want to categorically deny said information."
A number of players are expected to leave the Bernabeu this summer though, with Perez saying earlier this month that around 10 of the senior squad could be moved on.
That clearout is to accommodate the huge summer spending spree that Perez has sanctioned to get Madrid back among the elite of European football, with the club looking to bring in around six new faces.
The first of those, Brazilian ace Kaka, is already in the bag following his Â£56million move from AC Milan, while Cristiano Ronaldo`s world-record Â£80million switch could have moved a step closer with Spanish media reporting that his agent Jorge Mendes was at the Bernabeu yesterday to finalise contract details.
The reports also suggest that Ronaldo could undergo his medical with Madrid next week before being presented at the end of the month, although there is nothing official from the club yet regarding the Portugal international.
Copyright (c) PA Sport 2009, All Rights Reserved.
Do YOU want to write for GiveMeSport? Get started today by signing-up and submitting an article HERE: http://gms.to/writeforgms