Arabian businessman Sulaiman Al Fahim has moved a step closer to completing his takeover of Portsmouth but manager Paul Hart promised that continuity would be key to his reign.

Hart, who steered the club to safety as caretaker boss last season after taking over a side deep in relegation trouble, was finally rubber-stamped as the Pompey's permanent boss on Tuesday, earning a two-year deal.

"I'm pleased I'm still at the club and pleased to be working for this very good club and to be given the opportunity to take it forward," he said. "I've been here two and a half years now, that's always a plus, so I had a job to go to anyway. But it's good to have a little bit of continuity."

The announcement followed the confirmation of Al Fahim as the club's new chairman having passed the Premier League's 'fit and proper person' test.

The tycoon has also agreed "in principle" to buy the club from current owner Alexandre Gaydamak.

But despite the imminent change of ownership, Hart believes his strong links with the club - he arrived at Fratton Park in 2007 working with the Academy - will prove important next term.

He added: "I've worked with (now chief executive) Peter Storrie for two and a half years so it's good to have that continuity and together we believe we can take the club forward."

Al Fahim, whose company Al Fahim Asia Associates has agreed in outline to buy the club from Gaydamak, echoed those sentiments and believes Hart has proven himself ready to deliver the bright future he has in mind for Portsmouth.

He said: "Paul did a great job keeping the team in the Premier League last season and having previously worked as director of youth operations he knows the club inside out.

"He has immense experience and a great knowledge of the game and commands the respect of the players. I'm looking forward to working with him."

Copyright (c) PA Sport 2009, All Rights Reserved.

Topics:
#Portsmouth
#Premier League
Flag article