Everton have confirmed that they are in negotiations to sign Arsenal defender Philippe Senderos.
But the Goodison Park club said that a fee has yet to be agreed for the 24-year-old Swiss international.
The Swiss Football Federation on Monday night claimed on their website that the defender's move had been confirmed. However Everton chairman Bill Kenwright said: "We have been negotiating with Arsenal for the transfer of Philippe. Nothing has been concluded yet but talks are on-going."
A fee of about £6million is being discussed for the player who was on loan to AC Milan last season, playing 15 times.
An Everton club source insisted that Senderos - who joined Arsenal in 2003 - was not being signed as a direct replacement for Joleon Lescott, who is at the centre of a battle with Manchester City for his signature.
Everton have rejected two bids, £15million and £18million, for the England defender.
Lescott did hold talks with boss David Moyes on Monday, but did not put in a formal transfer request.
Senderos is being lined up as cover at the back for Everton, where Phil Jagielka is not due back from a knee injury until November at the earliest.
However, Senderos' arrival on Merseyside would compensate for a possible Lescott departure.
Lescott has been told by Moyes he will not be sold and City have yet to put in a third bid, which could be as much as £22million.
Copyright (c) PA Sport 2009, All Rights Reserved.
Do YOU want to write for GiveMeSport? Get started today by signing-up and submitting an article HERE: http://gms.to/writeforgms