The agent of Newcastle winger Jonas Gutierrez has refuted claims Olympiacos are interested in signing the Argentina international, while Panathinaikos have also distanced themselves from reports linking them with Fabricio Coloccini.
Quotes attributed to Gutierrez appeared in Greek sports daily SportDay on Monday claiming the player had been told the Greek champions wanted to buy him.
Olympiacos officials could not be reached for comment but Gutierrez's agent, Pedro Bravo Jimenez dismissed the claim, saying: "Nobody from Olympiacos or any other club from Greece has been in touch with me about the player. There is no inquiry or offer. These reports are not true."
Gutierrez failed to meet expectations on Tyneside following his move from Real Mallorca last summer, but started in Newcastle's first game since being relegated to the Championship on Saturday, a 1-1 draw against West Brom.
He was quoted in SportDay on Monday as saying: "My agent called me and told me about the interest of Olympiacos.
"I told my agent that I wouldn't say no to Olympiacos if they are going to make a good offer to me. Of course, everything depends on Newcastle. I have four more years on my contract with the English club and Olympiacos must agree with them first of all.
"For me is a big challenge to play the Champions League. I have a lot of energy in me and I want to make a fantastic season in order to be with my national team in South Africa for the World Cup."
Meanwhile, Panathinaikos also dismissed reports that they were set to launch a bid for Gutierrez's countryman and Newcastle team-mate Coloccini.
"There is absolutely nothing in that at all," a Panathinaikos press spokesperson said.
"At the moment Panathinaikos is not in the market for any new players, it's as simple as that."
Copyright (c) PA Sport 2009, All Rights Reserved.
Do YOU want to write for GiveMeSport? Get started today by signing-up and submitting an article HERE: http://gms.to/writeforgms