Wigan manager Roberto Martinez has not ruled out making another move for Celtic striker Scott McDonald in the January transfer window.
Late last month the Latics boss made an audacious bid to bring the Australian to the DW Stadium on a season-long loan. Although he failed to push that deal through the Spaniard said he will monitor the 26-year-old over the next few months.
"There were many players we showed interest in and Scott McDonald was one of them," said Martinez.
"I wanted to add to the squad with a couple of signings as we are a bit thin on numbers.
"We have our targets and we will carry on following and assessing them because if you are going to do that then I think it is vitally important that assessment continues.
"When you bring a player in you have to be certain that he brings you exactly what you want in terms of his personality, character and what he has to offer.
"I will continue to work hard to identify the right players to improve our squad."
Martinez is keen for his side to get back to winning ways, starting this Saturday at home to West Ham after three successive Barclays Premier League defeats.
"Now we've got a period of stability - 16 league games before the window opens again," he told the Wigan Evening Post.
"We've got to be as good as we can in that period and develop that winning mentality to get the points on the board. We haven't got the biggest squad but I'm confident that we will be able to cope and do well this season."
Copyright (c) PA Sport 2009, All Rights Reserved.
Do YOU want to write for GiveMeSport? Get started today by signing-up and submitting an article HERE: http://gms.to/writeforgms