Manchester City striker Craig Bellamy explained on Monday why the Football Association were right to spare him any charges over his altercation with a supporter during last month's Barclays Premier League derby at Old Trafford.
Bellamy was concerned about the repercussions of widespread criticism of his behaviour in a match City lost 4-3 - but he was subsequently heartened when the FA chose only to warn him about his conduct.
The 30-year-old Wales captain told BBC Radio 5 live: "He shoved his head towards me - and the FA have seen this; everyone has seen this. Certain papers tried to make it look like I have just attacked some fan. I've shoved his head out of my direction, clear as that. The FA have seen that, that's why I didn't get a ban."
He added: "I didn't punch him, didn't slap him, didn't backhand him.
"I've gone over, told him to get off the pitch. I didn't quite say it like that - but he got the message.
"The simple facts are that he shouldn't have been on the pitch - and I shouldn't have gone over to him."
The fan in question was fined £305 and banned from all football matches for three years.
Copyright (c) PA Sport 2009, All Rights Reserved.
Do YOU want to write for GiveMeSport? Get started today by signing-up and submitting an article HERE: http://gms.to/writeforgms