Sheffield Wednesday have placed Richard Wood on the transfer list after refusing to meet the central defender's wage demands.
The Owls have been desperate to keep hold of the highly-rated 24-year-old but were not prepared to meet his demands and make him their highest paid player at Hillsborough.
Manager Brian Laws said: "Richard and his agent have asked for something they know we can't pay, so I'm very disappointed in a player who has previously told me he wants to be at this football club. We've made him an excellent offer and I'm staggered we are at this point."
Laws, who confirmed he would use the money to strengthen several areas of his squad, added: "I don't want any players at this football club who do not want to be here and if there is a club that want to take Richard on loan with a view to a permanent move in January then we would welcome that."
Wakefield-born Wood, who made his first-team debut at the age of 17, was handed a two-year deal by the Owls before he had completed the second year of his academy scholarship.
The club turned down a transfer request from Wood in the summer of 2008 not long after rejecting a reported £1million bid from from Coventry.
Copyright (c) PA Sport 2009, All Rights Reserved.
Do YOU want to write for GiveMeSport? Get started today by signing-up and submitting an article HERE: http://gms.to/writeforgms