Promotion hopefuls Charlton kept alive their hopes of securing a top-two spot in Coca-Cola League One with a a 4-2 victory over a plucky Bristol Rovers at The Valley, in an evening that saw six red cards across the division.

David Mooney and Deon Burton, from the penalty spot, put the Addicks 2-0 up inside 16 minutes before a Jeff Hughes spot-kick and Chris Lines' 56th-minute goal levelled the scores. Nicky Bailey (68) and Akpo Sodje (86) sealed the points to stay three points clear in second.

Colchester moved third with a 2-0 win over Stockport, Kevin Lisbie and Clive Platt scoring the goals inside the opening quarter of an hour.

Norwich are up to third after a 4-1 triumph over Brighton. Grant Holt, Wes Hoolahan and Chris Martin netted for the Canaries, while there was also a Tommy Elphick own-goal and a consolation for James Tunnicliffe.

Carlisle, meanwhile, got the better of hosts MK Dons in a seven-goal thriller to go four points clear of the relegation scrap.

The Cumbrians took a stunning 3-0 lead over their sixth-placed opponents with Vincent Pericard on target twice and Kevan Hurst opening the scoring. Paul Ince's side fought back to level the scores through a Luke Chadwick brace and Sam Baldock's effort before United substitute Joe Anyinsah won it with 23 minutes to go. Blues midfielder Tom Taiwo was sent off in injury-time.

Swindon bested Huddersfield 2-1 with Charlie Austin securing the winner after goals from Billy Paynter and Lee Novak had cancelled each other out. Ten-man Exeter grabbed an 88th-minute equaliser through Adam Stansfield to steal a 1-1 draw against Millwall after Steve Tully's red card.

Simeon Jackson slotted from the spot for the only goal in Gillingham's match with Yeovil, who had Jean-Paul Kalala sent off and rock bottom Tranmere picked up a 2-0 home win against Southend.

Southampton moved to within a point of leaving the relegation zone thanks to goals from Adam Lallana (two) and Rickie Lambert in their 3-1 away win at Hartlepool, for whom Ritchie Jones saw red.

Troy Deeney scored twice as Walsall brushed 10-man Oldham aside 3-0, with Lee Hills the man dismissed. Matt Harrold's 48th-minute penalty was enough to see off Brentford, who later saw James Wilson red carded, while Leeds beat Leyton Orient 1-0 at Elland Road.

Copyright (c) PA Sport 2009, All Rights Reserved.

Do YOU want to write for GiveMeSport? Get started today by signing-up and submitting an article HERE: