It was always Jose Mourinho’s plan to see four new players arrive at Manchester United during the summer transfer window.
Mourinho was hoping executive vice-chairman Ed Woodward would succeed in bringing in a quartet of playing who could turn the Red Devils into title contenders.
But, with less than two weeks of the window remaining, Mourinho is still awaiting that elusive fourth man.
Victor Lindelof, Romelu Lukaku and Nemanja Matic have all been brought in and last week’s 4-0 win over West Ham United in the opening game of the season suggests Mourinho doesn’t need to sign anyone else.
Yet if there’s one thing Man United like to do, it’s spend. Their outlay so far this summer is close to £150 million and they will continue to be linked with potential targets until the August 31 deadline.
They’ve been linked with Tottenham left-back Danny Rose, who recently gave an interview to a national newspaper in which he could be tempted to leave north London, citing Spurs’ current wage structure and lack of high-profile signings as a cause for concern.
Meanwhile, a move for Inter Milan winger Ivan Perisic has been mooted for some time now. Unfortunately for Mourinho, the Serie A giants are unwilling to budge on their £48m demand for the Croatian.
What Jose told Woodward about potential fourth signing
In his Friday press conference ahead of Man United’s trip to Swansea City on Saturday, Mourinho admitted that he would be ready to go without that fourth signing.
Asked if the club are trying to bring one more player in, the Portuguese responded: “I don't think we are unless something happened that put us in market again," per the Manchester Evening News.
“I told Mr Woodward obviously my plans were four but I also told him be cool, no pressure from me. I said to him do what you think is the best for the club.
“We will be together for another transfer window in January and next summer so there is no pressure from me at all.
“I am happy with the squad we have. I am ready to go without a fourth player. If we are out of the market, I am fine. I'm ready.”
Man United certainly look ready. Mourinho has plenty of options going forward and in midfield and the fact that he’s been able to convince David de Gea is a huge bonus.
The only concern is at left-back. It remains to be seen whether Luke Shaw will perform at the required standard when he returns from a foot injury, hence the rumoured interest in Rose.
Is Man United's squad good enough to compete as it is? Let us know in the comments section below!
Do YOU want to write for GiveMeSport? Get started today by signing-up and submitting an article HERE: http://gms.to/writeforgms