Tottenham splashed out £36m on Ajax defender Davinson Sanchez over the weekend and are now looking to complete their second signing of the summer.
Paying off the new stadium which will be ready in 2018, chairman Daniel Levy has spoken of the club's policy of investing in the youth team as oppose to spending big - like many of their Premier League rivals.
With Kieran Trippier sidelined through injury at the start of the season, 20-year-old Kyle Walker-Peters impressed on his senior debut in a 2-0 win over Newcastle.
Article continues below
Highly rated England full-back Kyle Walker was sold to Manchester City for £50m but Mauricio Pochettino's first XI will look remarkably similar to the one that challenged Chelsea for the title last season.
Despite an alarming lack of new faces on the payroll, Spurs have managed to keep hold of the key players who have captured the hearts of the Tottenham fans over the past couple of years.
Article continues below
Spurs hosted Chelsea at their temporary home of Wembley on Sunday afternoon, losing 2-1 due to a fine Marcos Alonso brace.
According to The Telegraph, the two London rivals will be going to head-to-head in the race for Everton midfielder Ross Barkley.
The young English international told Koeman of his desire to leave at the end of the 2016/17 campaign but only 10 days remain until the transfer window shuts.
Despite being valued at £50m earlier this summer, Spurs are set to launch a bid of £20m + a potential £8m in add ons, as per The Telegraph's Matt Law.
Barkley, 23, has less than 12 months to run on his current deal at Goodison Park and was recently ruled out for three months after tearing his hamstring in training.
The Telegraph state that Spurs will face competition from Chelsea, who are also expected to make a bid of their own.
Chelsea have been following Barkley for some time and believe him to represent excellent value-for-money in a crazy market.
The 23-year-old attacking midfielder would likely earn a better salary at Stamford Bridge but could be attracted to Pochettino's policy of giving youth a chance.
Arsenal have also been linked with Barkley but Arsene Wenger recently told reporters that he must trim down his squad before he considers making any new signings.
“We won’t let him [Barkley] go cheap, of course not,” said Koeman earlier in August.
“We have the experience of what we need to pay for players who came here and had one year of contract. If there is a club thinking we can wait until the last day and we put some money on the table and we get Ross Barkley, sorry, you do not get Ross Barkley.”
“If there is an offer, maybe the club will not accept. He is a really good player; a young player, an English player. With all the valuations we have seen the last few weeks about players, then if you want to buy Ross it is a big [financial] deal.”
Do YOU want to write for GiveMeSport? Get started today by signing-up and submitting an article HERE: http://gms.to/writeforgms