Sir Alex Ferguson has ruled out a January move for former England defender Sol Campbell - and insisted he has money to spend if he wanted to.
Speculation rose earlier this week that Ferguson would look to bring Campbell in when the transfer window opens next month as he battles with an ongoing defensive injury crisis. Even the mere suggestion of signing the 35-year-old triggered more negative rumours about the money Ferguson has been given to spend at a club whose debt is currently £790million.
But Ferguson insists there is no link, and said: "I don't know where this came from but it is all wrong. Sol Campbell was a great player but he is not a player we are thinking about getting to come to United."
A move for Campbell always seemed unlikely given the player's age, and the fact he has played only one League Two game since he left Portsmouth at the end of last season.
And, as Ferguson confirmed, many of the current problems - while leaving him short of options once more for Saturday's Old Trafford encounter with Aston Villa - are unlikely to be long-term.
"Jonny Evans could be back in 10 days and John O'Shea will be with us in January," he said. "We are having a hard time with centre-backs at this moment in time but I am sure by January most of them will be back."
The issue of United's debt and the world record £80million received from Real Madrid following the summer sale of Cristiano Ronaldo has been a subject of debate for some time.
Ferguson's preference to keep his spending down last summer only fuelled talk of a squeeze being applied by the Glazer family.
It is an issue the United manager is happy to address, and he said: "It has been said I do not have the money. But the money is there if I wanted to use it.
"I didn't see any value in the summer and I don't see any value at the moment either. I am happy with the players I already have at the club."
Copyright (c) PA Sport 2009, All Rights Reserved.