Bartosz Bialkowski saved three spot-kicks as Southampton moved to within one step of a Wembley final with a dramatic 6-5 penalty shoot-out win over Norwich after the game finished 2-2 at St Mary's.

Saints took the Southern Section semi-final of the Johnstone's Paint Trophy to a penalty shoot-out when Papa Waigo N'Diaye popped up to equaliser in the third minute of injury time.

Waigo had given Southampton the lead in the first half when he shrugged off Gary Doherty to roll his shot under Norwich keeper Fraser Forster.

Norwich levelled when the Saints defence failed to deal with Simon Lappin's free-kick and Doherty rifled into the roof of the net from close range.

City took a deserved second-half lead when Bailkowski saved bravely at the feet of Grant Holt only to see the ball run to Chris Martin, who was left with a simple tap in for his 12th goal of the season.

After taking the tie into a shoot-out Waigo was one of two Saints players to miss from the spot but substitute Wayne Thomas calmly rolled home the decisive kick.

MK Dons will be their opponents in the Southern Section final after a 4-1 win over Hereford at Edgar Street.

Goals from Sam Baldock, Jason Puncheon, Aaron Wilbraham and Jermaine Easter clinched victory for the 2008 winners.

Hereford had levelled in the 63rd minute when Leon Constantine slotted home from 10 yards.

Carlisle booked a place in the Northern Area final against Leeds after beating 10-man Bradford 3-0 at Brunton Park.

A goal on the stroke of half-time from Richard Keogh and two more in the second half from Scott Dobie and Matty Robson extended Carlisle's unbeaten run to six games.

At Elland Road, winger Hogan Ephraim tormented Accrington to help send the Whites through with a 2-0 win.

Ephraim, on loan from QPR, fired much-changed Leeds ahead in the ninth minute with a 20-yard shot from the left which deflected off defender Phil Edwards into the far corner after neat passing by David Prutton and Mike Grella.

Ephraim proved a handful for Stanley's defence all night and it was his 50th-minute run and cross from the right that enabled Neil Kilkenny to head Leeds' second goal into the bottom right corner.

Copyright (c) PA Sport 2009, All Rights Reserved.

Do YOU want to write for GiveMeSport? Get started today by signing-up and submitting an article HERE: