Boxing

McGregor and Mayweather.

Conor McGregor explains why he thinks Floyd Mayweather could ask him for a rematch

Published Add your comment

Football News
24/7

Conor McGregor is widely expected to return to UFC following his venture into boxing to face Floyd Mayweather last month.

Indeed, the Irishman’s head coach, John Kavanagh, wants him to complete his trilogy with Nate Diaz on St. Patrick’s Day, March 17, in New York.

“That’s what I’ll be leaning towards with my 0.1 percent influence when I meet with Conor and Audie (Attar),” Kavanagh said, per MMAFighting.

“I want Diaz 3, Paddy’s Day in New York.”

It would make sense for McGregor and Diaz to settle their 1-1 tie. Khabib Nurmagomedov has also been mentioned as a possible opponent, while many believe he will face the winner of the UFC 216 clash between Tony Ferguson and Kevin Lee.

But for the time being, there’s only one fight that McGregor is interested in discussing and it’s the one against Mayweather.

McGregor explains what would happen in a rematch

The 29-year-old is currently hosting events around Britain and it was in Glasgow where he spoke about a rematch with the American.

McGregor made a quick start when they met in Las Vegas but eventually tired, leading to Mayweather’s TKO victory in the 10th round.

But ‘The Notorious’ believes that if they were to do it all again, he would come out on top.

“What’s sickening me is that the little motherf**ker is retired now,” McGregor said at An Evening with Conor McGregor, per MMAFighting.

“I know if I went another go with him, under boxing rules, I’d get that win. I know that. I know by the feeling of him in the first fight.

“He had to change his whole approach. He fought completely different than he ever fought. He couldn’t figure out what I was doing early on.

“With the lessons I learned from that first fight, if I had another go now, I’d get him. At the same time, he’s 50-0 and he’s getting on, I’m not gonna start calling him out. I’m happy to see a fighter (do well).”

McGregor expects another call from Mayweather

While Mayweather insists he is retired, McGregor wouldn’t be surprised if he received another phone call from the 40-year-old.

And if McGregor does get that call, he already knows what he will say.

“Let’s see how he handles this round of money,” the UFC lightweight champion added.

“I might get the phone call again and we may do it again. Originally, he said an MMA fight next. He was talking about an MMA fight next.

“I’m thinking, the tax bill of this last fight, the tax bill off his previous bill, and then his good investments, I think I could be getting a call anytime soon to go again and I f**king want to.”

Once was enough but we all know that we’ll tune in again.

Floyd Mayweather Jr. v Conor McGregor

Who would win in a rematch between Mayweather and McGregor? Let us know in the comments section below!

Do YOU want to write for GiveMeSport? Get started today by signing-up and submitting an article HERE: http://gms.to/writeforgms

Topics:
Boxing
Floyd Mayweather
Manny Pacquiao

Article Comments

Read more

Report author of article

Please let us know if you believe this article is in violation of our editorial policy, please only report articles for one of the following reasons.

Report author

DISCLAIMER

This article has been written by a member of the GiveMeSport Writing Academy and does not represent the views of GiveMeSport.com or SportsNewMedia. The views and opinions expressed are solely that of the author credited at the top of this article. GiveMeSport.com and SportsNewMedia do not take any responsibility for the content of its contributors.

Want more content like this?

Like our GiveMeSport Facebook Page and you will get this directly to you.

Already Subscribed to Facebook, don't ask me again

Follow GiveMeSport on Twitter and you will get this directly to you.

Already Following, don't ask me again

Like our GiveMeSport Page and you will get this directly to you.

Already Subscribed to G+, don't ask me again