Fabio Capello will have the final say on whether John Terry leads England at the World Cup after the Football Association left the decision in the Italian's hands.
Capello will make his call "on footballing grounds", the FA said, following the newspaper allegations that married Terry had an affair with Vanessa Perroncel, the former girlfriend of Wayne Bridge.
An FA spokesman said on Monday night: "Fabio is fully up to speed with developments regarding John Terry. He spoke with our chairman Lord Triesman and chief executive Ian Watmore on Monday, who both backed him to make the best decision for England on footballing grounds."
Bridge, who is a former Chelsea team-mate of Terry and a current international colleague, has said he does not intend to comment on the reports. Bridge and Perroncel had a child together before splitting last year.
Capello may need to speak in private with both Terry and Bridge as he deliberates on the issue.
The Professional Footballers' Association chief executive Gordon Taylor has also offered to mediate if Terry and Bridge wish to talk.
The FA spokesman added: "Fabio is dealing with the matter in his own way using his extensive experience as a football manager."
Terry's position has been the subject of speculation since he failed with a High Court injunction to stop newspapers reporting claims about the alleged affair.
Sports Minister Gerry Sutcliffe has already stated that, should the allegations be proven, 29-year-old Terry's role as skipper would be called into question.
A spokeswoman for Gordon Brown said that Mr Sutcliffe was "entitled to his opinion", but made clear that the Prime Minister did not want to comment on the Terry case, leaving it to the FA and England management.
Copyright (c) PA Sport 2009, All Rights Reserved.
Do YOU want to write for GiveMeSport? Get started today by signing-up and submitting an article HERE: http://gms.to/writeforgms