Damien Johnson's first goal in almost three years earned Coca-Cola Championship strugglers Plymouth a valuable point in a 1-1 draw at home to Swansea.

There was late drama at Home Park as Argyle were awarded a penalty when Andrea Orlandi was adjudged to have handled in the area.

Jamie Mackie stepped up to take the spot-kick which Dorus De Vries saved. However, referee Keith Hill felt the keeper had moved too far off his line and ordered the kick to be re-taken.

Johnson took responsibility this time, and although De Vries saved this penalty as well, the midfielder knocked in the rebound to cancel out Darren Pratley`s sixth goal of the season and secure his side a share of the spoils.

Second-bottom Plymouth went into the game buoyed by a 3-1 win at Barnsley last time out, while the Swans were looking to preserve a nine-game unbeaten run in the league.

Swansea, who made five changes from the side which drew with Newcastle at the weekend, had the first chance of the night in the fourth minute, Pratley firing a shot straight at Argyle goalkeeper David Stockdale from close in.

Plymouth responded with Rory Fallon sending a weak header into the arms of De Vries and Luke Summerfield blazing over from distance.

But it was the high-flying Swans who were dominating the early stages as Gorka Pintado brought a decent save from Stockdale with a 12-yard drive.

Johnson's ambitious shot from 30 yards was gathered by De Vries, while Orlandi forced another impressive stop from Stockdale after good work from Pratley as the chances continued to flow.

It was the home side who were on top as half-time approached, with Karl Duguid letting fly from 35 yards and Johnson firing over from the edge of the box.

But Swansea snatched the lead within seconds of the restart. Pratley looked suspiciously offside when Angel Rangel sent him clear, but he kept his cool to slot the ball home - his sixth goal of the season.

It was all the visitors as Pratley's 18-yard attempt was parried away by Stockdale and a Thomas Butler strike was well-held by the keeper.

Fallon left the action to be replaced by Kenny Cooper on the hour as Plymouth looked to get back into the game.

But it was Swansea who continued to create the better chances, Pratley again breaking through, only to fire straight at Stockdale.

Argyle defender Kari Arnason saw a shot blocked in the box before the late drama unfolded. Johnson was in the right place to tap in the rebound from his spot-kick.

Swansea almost snatched it at the death, but Pintado`s drive from the edge of the area fizzed inches wide.

Copyright (c) PA Sport 2009, All Rights Reserved.

Do YOU want to write for GiveMeSport? Get started today by signing-up and submitting an article HERE: http://gms.to/writeforgms