Blackpool kept their Coca-Cola Championship play-off dream alive with a crucial 3-1 home victory over Nottingham Forest.

The impressive Charlie Adam opened the scoring from the penalty spot just after the half-hour mark.

DJ Campbell struck early in the second half to extend the Seasiders' lead but Forest got themselves back in the game through Joe Garner's header.

However, Campbell netted his second goal of the game with six minutes remaining to keep Blackpool on the coat-tails of sixth-placed Swansea, who also won 3-1 at home against Barnsley.

Blackpool's four-game winning streak was halted by defeat to already-promoted Newcastle last weekend and boss Ian Holloway made just one change from the 4-1 reverse at St James' Park as Brett Ormerod replaced Ben Burgess.

Forest guaranteed themselves a play-off spot with a 3-0 home win over Ipswich last time out and Reds boss Billy Davies took the opportunity to rest some of his key players.

The Scot made five changes with the likes of leading scorers Dexter Blackstock and Robert Earnshaw and influential midfielder Paul Anderson all missing from the starting XI.

David McGoldrick, one of the players recalled by Davies, provided the game's first noteworthy effort after 20 minutes but his shot went narrowly wide.

At the other end, Ian Evatt looked like he would put Blackpool in front but the ball took a wicked bobble just as the big centre-half shaped to shoot six yards from goal and the chance went begging.

The hosts did take the lead after 32 minutes when McGoldrick was adjudged to have fouled Seamus Coleman. Referee Anthony Taylor took a long time speaking to his assistant before awarding the penalty.

Adam, arguably the buy of last summer following his #500,000 arrival from Scottish champions Rangers, coolly converted the spot-kick for his 17th goal of the season.

Forest should have equalised just before the break but Dele Adebola scooped the ball over the crossbar from six yards out.

It proved to be a pivotal moment as Campbell extended Blackpool's advantage nine minutes after the restart. The on-loan Leicester striker steered the ball past Lee Camp from 12 yards following good work down the left by Stephen Crainey.

Adebola immediately had a chance to halve Forest's arrears but his shot was blocked by the feet of goalkeeper Matt Gilks.

The Reds were back in the game in the 65th minute when Garner marked his return to the team and capped a good individual performance with a goal.

The former Carlisle striker stooped to head Chris Cohen's free-kick into the roof of the net from close range.

Forest sensed they could salvage something and Garner and substitutes Earnshaw and Blackstock all threatened but failed to work Gilks.

However, it was Blackpool who went on to score a third goal. Gary Taylor-Fletcher teed-up Campbell 10 yards out and his rising shot flew into the top corner.

The visitors kept plugging away though, and only a fine save from Gilks to deny Earnshaw with three minutes remaining prevented a grandstand finish.

Copyright (c) PA Sport 2009, All Rights Reserved.

Do YOU want to write for GiveMeSport? Get started today by signing-up and submitting an article HERE: