Grimsby's hopes of preserving their Football League status are still alive after a vital victory over Barnet which moved them to within a point of their opponents.

The Mariners looked certainties for relegation but a terrific run has seen them close in on their rivals and Saturday's 2-0 win leaves them only a point behind the Bees, who sacked manager Ian Hendon this week.

Robert Atkinson opened the scoring in the 59th minute and Mark Hudson made the points safe with a second in injury time.

Cheltenham will also be sweating on their position after a 5-0 defeat to Notts County. The Robins are three points ahead of Grimsby but their goal difference is now only six better.

Three goals in five minutes from Graeme Lee (21), Lee Hughes (22) and Ben Davies (25) put the Coca-Cola League Two champions in charge and further goals from the prolific Hughes (31) - his 33rd of the season - and Luke Rodgers (81) sealed an emphatic win.

Rotherham and Aldershot are assured of spots in the play-offs while Morecambe and Dagenham & Redbridge know wins next week will book their places in the top seven.

The Millers were helped out by other results after drawing 0-0 with Crewe while Aldershot came from behind to see off Lincoln 3-1. Davide Somma fired Lincoln ahead in the 57th minute but it was then the Morgan show for the Shots as Marvin Morgan levelled (69), Dean Morgan (73) put the hosts ahead and Marvin Morgan (75) netted his second in quick succession.

Morecambe looked to be cruising at managerless Shrewsbury when they raced into a 2-0 lead inside 15 minutes through Mark Duffy and David Artell.

But Benjamin Van den Broek (33) and Tom Bradshaw (48) drew the home side level only for Artell to pounce again in the 62nd minute.

The Daggers needed an injury-time goal from Graeme Montgomery to defeat Hereford 2-1 after Marc Pugh had cancelled out Paul Benson's opener.

Copyright (c) PA Sport 2009, All Rights Reserved.

Do YOU want to write for GiveMeSport? Get started today by signing-up and submitting an article HERE: