Football

Torres shrugs off speculation

Published Add your comment

Striker Fernando Torres has brushed aside questions about his Liverpool future but admitted the club needed to improve issues off the field.

Former chairman David Moores on Wednesday called for co-owners Tom Hicks and George Gillett to sell up quickly after more than three torrid years of in-fighting. Torres has previously spoken out about the need to bring in "four or five" quality signings this summer but said the ownership also needed to be addressed.

"That is one of the ways we need to improve," said the Spain international.

"I know the situation, I speak to the chief executive (Christian Purslow) and Rafa (Benitez) every week and I am aware of what is going on.

"I have tried to stay apart from them and re-focus on the national team so when the World Cup ends, we'll see what happens."

On Tuesday Torres' agent Jose Antonio Peton said that despite speculation about interest from Chelsea and Manchester City the 26-year-old would be remaining at Liverpool.

"For the moment I can assure fans that Fernando will continue at Liverpool next season," he told a Spanish radio station.

Those remarks were put to the striker at a press conference for his national team but he said: "I didn't read them.

"The most important thing for me now is the World Cup. My future is the World Cup and then we'll see later.

"For now and hopefully for the next two months the only thing I am thinking about and talking about is the World Cup."

Copyright (c) PA Sport 2009, All Rights Reserved.

Do YOU want to write for GiveMeSport? Get started today by signing-up and submitting an article HERE: http://gms.to/writeforgms

Topics:
Football
Manchester City
Chelsea
Premier League
Fernando Torres
Liverpool

Article Comments

Report author of article

Please let us know if you believe this article is in violation of our editorial policy, please only report articles for one of the following reasons.

Report author

DISCLAIMER

This article has been written by a member of the GiveMeSport Writing Academy and does not represent the views of GiveMeSport.com or SportsNewMedia. The views and opinions expressed are solely that of the author credited at the top of this article. GiveMeSport.com and SportsNewMedia do not take any responsibility for the content of its contributors.

Want more content like this?

Like our GiveMeSport Facebook Page and you will get this directly to you.

Already Subscribed to Facebook, don't ask me again

Follow GiveMeSport on Twitter and you will get this directly to you.

Already Following, don't ask me again

Like our GiveMeSport Page and you will get this directly to you.

Already Subscribed to G+, don't ask me again