City rubbish Drogba talks

Published Add your comment

Manchester City have rubbished claims by Didier Drogba's agent that the club have been in contact about signing the Chelsea striker.

Thierno Seydi suggested in a radio interview that Drogba could leave Stamford Bridge before the transfer deadline and said there had already been dialogue with City. Yet City, who have spent around £60million on Jerome Boateng, David Silva and Yaya Toure this summer, insist there is no truth in Seydi's remarks.

A City spokesperson said: "There has been absolutely no contact. We have not spoken to him and there is no foundation to this."

Drogba, 32, was the Barclays Premier League top goalscorer with 29 as Chelsea won the title last season.

The Ivory Coast international has scored 84 goals for the club since his £24million signing from Marseille six years ago.

Seydi said the player was happy to remain with the Blues but, at his age, had to consider good financial offers from elsewhere.

"Today he is at Chelsea," Seydi told French station RMC. "There might be surprises before August 31.

"I have not talked to just anybody. The only contact I have had, directly, was Manchester City.

"But at the moment we remain on the status quo. We're listening to everyone, but to separate Didier from Chelsea is not a simple affair, because all the conditions are met for him to flourish there.

"He is 32 years old and I'm open to everything. As he improves year on year he is still hungry for challenges. At his age I can't hide the financial aspect. The club which wants Didier will have to put up the money."

Copyright (c) PA Sport 2009, All Rights Reserved.

Do YOU want to write for GiveMeSport? Get started today by signing-up and submitting an article HERE:

Didier Drogba
Manchester City
Premier League

Article Comments

Report author of article

Please let us know if you believe this article is in violation of our editorial policy, please only report articles for one of the following reasons.

Report author


This article has been written by a member of the GiveMeSport Writing Academy and does not represent the views of or SportsNewMedia. The views and opinions expressed are solely that of the author credited at the top of this article. and SportsNewMedia do not take any responsibility for the content of its contributors.

Want more content like this?

Like our GiveMeSport Facebook Page and you will get this directly to you.

Already Subscribed to Facebook, don't ask me again

Follow GiveMeSport on Twitter and you will get this directly to you.

Already Following, don't ask me again

Like our GiveMeSport Page and you will get this directly to you.

Already Subscribed to G+, don't ask me again