John Toshack claims he is not yet finished in football management despite an inglorious end to his tenure as Wales boss.
The 61-year-old ended his six-year reign in charge of his country on Thursday after reaching a mutual agreement with the Football Association of Wales.
Toshack failed to end Wales' long wait for a place in the finals of a major tournament - which now runs to 52 years - and his handling of senior players during his tenure attracted criticism.
But he said: "I don't see anything happening in the immediate future - there are still a few things to be sorted out - but, if the past is anything to go on, in the new year I may be somewhere else."
The pressure on Toshack increased after defeat in last Friday's opening Euro 2012 qualifier in Montenegro and it came as no surprise when it was announced his employment with the FAW had been terminated.
That was a body blow for a vastly experienced coach who has had two spells in charge at Real Madrid, three at Real Sociedad and worked at six other clubs on the continent.
But Toshack, who creditably spoke for nearly 50 minutes at a press conference, is not giving up just yet.
"This is not a new position - I have had highs and lows before," he added.
"I have done these conferences in three or four different languages before so this one is easier in that respect."
Wales are now in search of a new coach ahead of next month's qualifiers against Bulgaria and Switzerland. Whoever takes over, Toshack believes they will still have a good chance of leading the country to European Championship qualification.
Toshack said: "The group is far from settled. I would like to see the players go out and perform like they have never performed before and the crowd get behind them.
"I hope whoever comes in gets off to a good start. I still feel the team is capable of getting positive results."
Copyright (c) PA Sport 2009, All Rights Reserved.
Do YOU want to write for GiveMeSport? Get started today by signing-up and submitting an article HERE: http://gms.to/writeforgms