Brian Flynn declared he is still the man to lead Wales despite seeing his side crash to a heavy defeat in Switzerland.
Wales were crushed 4-1 at Basle's St Jakob Park to lose for a second time during Flynn's short stint as caretaker manager. The scoreline flattered the Swiss but still left Wales without a point after three games of a dismal Euro 2012 qualifying campaign.
But when asked if he wanted to continue in the job, the former Wrexham and Swansea boss said: "Perversely I would like it even more."
He added: "Having worked with them for the last 10 days, it has been a joy. They have done their very best and I feel I can still get more out of them.
"There is more to come and I am the man for the job. I have no doubt about my credentials."
Flynn, who turned 55 on Tuesday, accepted he had not presented an irrefutable case for the Football Association of Wales to appoint him full time.
The FAW are now likely to keep Flynn, who was asked to step up from Under-21 duties after John Toshack's departure last month, waiting as they begin a more formal appointment process.
Unless a friendly is arranged for next month, Wales do not have a game until February and have time to advertise the post.
Flynn said: "It hasn't improved my position, two defeats. They haven't spoken to me since the initial meeting we had a month ago, when it was clearly stated that following the two games there would be a shortlist drawn up and interviews would take place.
"I don't know the timescale but I imagine I will be informed what the process is in the near future."
Copyright (c) PA Sport 2009, All Rights Reserved.