Mick McCarthy has hit out at the treatment of Wolves winger Matt Jarvis by England head coach Fabio Capello in not notifying him of his exclusion from the final squad named to face France.
McCarthy confirmed that Jarvis was told he was in the provisional list of names chosen by Capello for Wednesday's clash at Wembley, but after the 24-year-old's hopes had been raised, there was no phone call or text from Capello or any member of the England hierarchy when Jarvis was left out.
Former Republic of Ireland boss McCarthy said: "My point is that if you get notification that you might be called up, you might then get a call or text from someone to say 'sorry, you're not in'. We've all got each other's numbers but you find out through the media that Jarvo isn't going."
He added: "There might be a different way of handling that, that if you are not going to be called up, a little phone call or text might not be out of order.
"A text saying 'sorry, you are doing brilliant keep going', a pat on the head would do no harm."
Wolves face Blackpool at Bloomfield Road on Saturday with McCarthy insisting his spat with Ian Holloway has been amicably resolved.
McCarthy sought an apology from Holloway over comments made by the Tangerines boss regarding the side he fielded last season against Manchester United.
McCarthy said: "It was done and dusted a week ago when he said sorry. It was all a bit of a mix-up.
"It's all put to bed. We've always had the greatest respect for each other and are good football pals."
Copyright (c) PA Sport 2009, All Rights Reserved.
Do YOU want to write for GiveMeSport? Get started today by signing-up and submitting an article HERE: http://gms.to/writeforgms