Brighton's Gary Dicker missed a second half spot-kick as the npower League One leaders continued their recent stumble with a goalless draw against Southampton at St Mary's.

Dicker saw his effort saved on a night when Rickie Lambert and Adam Lallana could have won it for Saints, but the Seagulls retain their four point advantage after Charlton were held to a 1-1 draw by Bristol Rovers.

Wayne Brown put Rovers ahead in the 63rd minute and the visitors looked set to snap a five-game winless streak at The Valley only for Paul Benson to fire an equaliser for the Addicks on 77.

Colchester plunged three places from third to sixth after suffering their second home defeat of the season to Brentford, who took the lead through Gary Alexander on 26 and rounded off a surprise win through Charlie MacDonald in injury time.

Their loss allowed Bournemouth to leap to third with a convincing 2-0 home win over struggling Yeovil with first-half strikes from Danny Hollands and Josh McQuoid while Sheffield Wednesday also moved up one place to fourth as they beat bottom club Walsall 3-0 with goals from Darren Potter, Mark Beevers and Clinton Morrison.

Oldham squandered a 3-0 lead to draw 3-3 at home to Exeter, whose goals all came in an extraordinary last 13 minutes. Richard Logan started the comeback on 77 and Jamie Cureton scored a second on 85 before Ryan Harley missed an 88th minute chance to equalise from the spot. One minute later Daniel Nardiello headed home to grab a point.

Lee Hughes boosted Notts County's battle to beat the drop with an 88th minute winner at home to Swindon, a result that leaves the bottom three stranded after Dagenham & Redbridge blew an early lead to lose 2-1 at Plymouth.

Jordan Rhodes got Huddersfield back on track after a run of dismal performances with two superb strikes in a 4-1 win over Milton Keynes Dons. Antony Kay and Gary Roberts also scored with Aaron Wilbraham responding for the Dons.

Peterborough's Aaron Mclean missed a last minute penalty which would have secured him a hat-trick and three points for Posh against Leyton Orient. Mclean had twice put his side in front only to see the advantage cancelled out first by Alex Revell two minutes before the break, then by Jimmy Smith who equalised for the Os four minutes from time.

Gary Jones' 62nd minute penalty rescued Rochdale a 1-1 draw against Carlisle at Brunton Park while a 77th minute own goal by Peter Gulacsi gave Hartlepool a 1-0 win at Tranmere.

Copyright (c) PA Sport 2009, All Rights Reserved.

Do YOU want to write for GiveMeSport? Get started today by signing-up and submitting an article HERE: