Liverpool are reportedly close to landing Dutch international midfielder Mark Van Bommel after a €3 million offer for the player.
The out-of-favour Bayern Munich star has reportedly been told he can leave the club, and the Sunday Times reports that Liverpool boss Kenny Dalglish has moved for the player.
AC Milan are also said to be interested and are thought to have had a similar bid accepted by the German giants, with the Serie 'A' outfit set to go head-to-head with Liverpool for the Holland captain.
The former PSV Eindhoven midfielder has previously admitted a desire to play in the Premier League, although the Italian outfit have the lure of Champions League football to try and tempt Van Bommel to the San Siro.
With just six-months remaining on his current contract, the player is available at a discount fee, and has attracted interest from a number of clubs. Liverpool have been linked with the player in the past, and have this time taken their interest further with a concrete bid.
Reds owner John W. Henry is in Merseyside to discuss the club’s transfer activity this month, and the Anfield outfit are believed to be interested in strengthening in a number of positions.
An attacking foil for Fernando Torres is believed to be the priority for Liverpool, but a discount deal for Van Bommel appears to have been too good to turn down.
Damien Comolli is thought to have agreed with club scouting reports that the player would be a quality addition at Anfield, and the 33-year-old veteran could provide Steven Gerrard with some tough-tackling assistance in the Liverpool midfield.
An injury crisis at the Allianz Arena means that the Bundesliga side could try and persuade the player to stay, but face the possibility of losing him for free at the end of the season. Liverpool have sensed an opportunity, and will hope to persuade the player that Merseyside is his future home.