Reported Liverpool target Gervinho says there is 'no way' he will leave Lille during the transfer window.

The Ivorian's performances this year for the Ligue 1 table-toppers have caught the eye of a number of top European clubs - prompting reports that he could be on his way out of France in January.

Liverpool had been installed as early frontrunners for the versatile forward, but the 23-year-old says he intends to stay with Lille for the short-term at least.

"There is no way I'm leaving Lille now," he stated - as quoted by skysports.com.

"I am enjoying my football now more than ever before. We are playing well, scoring goals and our team spirit is fantastic.

"I want to win the league here, that is very important and would give any player a lot of confidence."




 

However, he has left the door open to a potential future move to Liverpool - or any other suitors - by explaining that he dreams of moving to a club of greater stature.

He added: "My ambition is to play for a big club one day, in a big league, but at the moment Lille is the place to be and I am enjoying being part of their success."

Despite missing out on Gervinho during January, Liverpool are expected to invest heavily in their playing squad this month.

Liverpool are particularly in need of attacking reinforcements in order to transform their stuttering season and have been linked with moves for Ajax striker Luis Suarez and Aston Villa winger Ashley Young.

In fact, Liverpool director of football strategy, Damien Comolli, went as far to say on Friday that the aforementioned two players were very much on his radar.

"We are looking primarily for an offensive player because the team is short on pace. He (Suarez) is one of the players we are interested in. Will he be available in January? This is another story," the Liverpool supremo told Canal+Sport.

"For Young, if he is on the market then we will be interested. But I don't believe that is the case."

Topics:
#Football
#Premier League
#Liverpool