Chelsea have not made a £52million bid for Atletico Madrid pair Sergio Aguero and Diego Godin, despite claims to the contrary by the Spanish club's majority shareholder.
Press Association Sport understands there is no truth to Miguel Angel Gil's assertion that the Barclays Premier League champions attempted an audacious double-swoop for the duo in the past week.
Chelsea refused to comment on the claims, a spokesman saying on Tuesday night: "We never comment on transfer speculation, no matter how wild it is." However, it is understood the Blues made no attempt to sign striker Aguero or defender Godin.
Gil also claimed he turned down a £39million bid for Argentina international Aguero from city rivals Real Madrid.
He said: "In the last week, we have received two offers.
"One from Real for Aguero for 45 million euros and the other from Chelsea for Aguero and Diego Godin for 60 million.
"Atletico have said no to the two offers because they believe in these two players."
Chelsea have previously been linked with Aguero, 22, who joined debt-laden Atletico from Independiente in 2006.
Copyright (c) PA Sport 2009, All Rights Reserved.
Do YOU want to write for GiveMeSport? Get started today by signing-up and submitting an article HERE: http://gms.to/writeforgms