Liverpool have rejected a Chelsea bid of £35million for Fernando Torres, according to The Times.
The Stamford Bridge side, who were linked with a move for the Spain striker in the summer, have been told in no uncertain terms that the 26-year-old is not available.
"Chelsea have made a bid for Fernando which has been turned down," a Liverpool spokesman told the newspaper. "The player is not for sale."
Chelsea owner Roman Abramovich is a known long-time admirer of the Torres but has been unsuccessful in past attempts to lure the player away from Anfield and Liverpool are determined to fend off any new interest.
There has been much speculation about Torres' future but it began to grow after the club finished seventh in the Barclays Premier League.
He returned to Merseyside as a World Cup winner but, with Chelsea seemingly prepared to make a bid, he insisted his commitment to the Reds was the same as when he signed in the summer of 2007.
However, his - and the club's - early-season form did little to dispel those rumours as the striker cut a frustrated and agitated figure on the pitch as Liverpool endured their worst start to a campaign since 1953/54.
Matters were not helped when it emerged a £50million buy-out clause had been inserted into his contract - which runs until 2013.
But since the appointment of Kenny Dalglish to replace Roy Hodgson nearly three weeks ago Torres has looked a rejuvenated player and in his last four matches has scored three times - which would have been four had he not had an effort against Fulham on Wednesday wrongly ruled out for offside.
Copyright (c) PA Sport 2009, All Rights Reserved.
Do YOU want to write for GiveMeSport? Get started today by signing-up and submitting an article HERE: http://gms.to/writeforgms