Fernando Torres has revealed he made up his mind to leave Liverpool midway through the January transfer window, more than a week before Chelsea's bid for him became known.
Torres was officially unveiled at his new club's Cobham training base on Friday afternoon after completing his record-breaking £50million move from Liverpool on transfer deadline day.
Chelsea saw a bid rejected for Torres four days before the end of the window but the striker had decided "10-12 days before the transfer window closed" that his future lay away from Anfield.
"As soon as I knew that Liverpool and Chelsea were talking about that, I told them that the decision was made," he said. "I was the first one to go to the manager and tell them."
Some Liverpool fans were seen burning Torres replica shirts when news of his £50million transfer became known, but the player said: "I can't say anything bad about (Liverpool supporters) because they made me feel really good. I understand they will be angry. I would like to explain to them all the reasons."
Hinting his discontent dated back to the departure of other key players such as Xabi Alonso and Javier Mascherano, he said: "I was a Liverpool fan. When some of the players left the club, I couldn't understand. They did the best for themselves and their families and their careers."
Torres' commitment to the cause at Liverpool had been criticised this season but he said: "I never lost my ambition.
"Too many people are talking about that - that's just opinions. I was playing out of form for a month."
The 26-year-old shrugged off the pressure of his price tag, a record fee between British clubs.
"I have been in this situation before when I signed for Liverpool - big money, big expectation, so this is not new," he said.
"I'm more than ready for the challenge."
Copyright (c) PA Sport 2009, All Rights Reserved.