Manchester City star Micah Richards is excited at the potential the Eastlands club now holds after they qualified for the Champions League with victory over Tottenham on Monday night.
"It has shut a few people up," Richards said of proving the knockers wrong.
"We always wanted to answer the critics.
"We have invested in some quality players who have shown what they can do.”
While Manchester City had a disappointing season last year, being pipped for fourth place by Tottenham and missing out on any trophies, they now look to be close to ending a 35 year wait for glory if they can defeat Stoke in the FAC Cup final on the weekend.
And with fourth place secured, should Arsenal continue their downslide, Manchester City now have a chance of heading as high as third on the Barclays Premier League table.
But while Manchester City are looking forward to the FA Cup tie, Richards says the squad are raring to start playing Champions League football next season, with Tottenham’s quarter final achievement being set as the benchmark.
"I've watched a lot of Champions League football," Richards said.
"I watched Spurs and they did well getting to the quarter-finals. There is no reason why we shouldn't do that.
"I am sure we will invest and make ourselves even stronger again. Every club needs new players and we always look to strengthen in every position.
"We're not the City of old, always making silly mistakes, anymore.
"Every year we have had a progression. Last year fifth and this year fourth. Next season we will try and build on that again.
"It's just amazing, unbelievable. I've always dreamt of playing in the Champions League - now I'm going to have to pinch myself to realise it has really happened.
"To have the chance of playing against the world's best players is incredible and I can't wait."
Do YOU want to write for GiveMeSport? Get started today by signing-up and submitting an article HERE: http://gms.to/writeforgms