Football

Busquets set to face United

Published Add your comment

Football News
24/7

UEFA have dismissed allegations of racist abuse made against Sergio Busquets, paving the way for the Barcelona midfielder to play in next week's Champions League final against Manchester United.

The 22-year-old was accused of making racist remarks by Real Madrid during the controversial first leg of their European semi-final last month. The capital club published a video on their website ahead of the second leg, with a subtitle alleging Busquets had made a comment towards wing-back Marcelo during Barca's 2-0 win at the Bernabeu.

UEFA announced last week they had opened disciplinary proceedings against Busquets, with the case being dealt with over the weekend and a short statement on Barca's official website confirmed the midfielder has been cleared of any wrongdoing. "Sergio Busquets will play in the Champions League final," said the statement on www.fcbarcelona.com.

"UEFA has notified FC Barcelona they have dismissed the claims of Real Madrid."

The footage on Madrid's website was posted the day before the second leg, which finished in a 1-1 draw to send Pep Guardiola's side through to the final 3-1 on aggregate.

It showed Busquets appearing to direct a comment at Marcelo while covering his mouth with his hands, with Madrid alleging the player said "mono, mono" - Spanish for "monkey, monkey".

The incident was one of several in an ill-tempered tie between the two Primera Division giants, with both clubs lodging complaints to UEFA after the first leg.




 

Madrid were unhappy with the behaviour of the opposing players and the red card shown to Pepe, while Barca protested over Madrid coach Jose Mourinho's post-match comments alluding to favours from UEFA in big Champions League games and questioning the Catalan club's relationship with the European governing body.

The complaints were dismissed by UEFA, with Mourinho later handed a five-game European ban for his outbursts. Barca will take on United in the final at Wembley on May 28. UEFA revealed the allegations against Busquets had been thrown out because of a lack of evidence.

A statement on www.uefa.com read: "The chairman of the UEFA Control and Disciplinary Body, acting as a judge sitting alone, has decided to dismiss the complaint lodged by Real Madrid CF for racial abuse against its player Marcelo by FC Barcelona player Sergio Busquets in the UEFA Champions League semi-final first leg between the clubs in Madrid on 27 April, due to a lack of strong and convincing evidence."

Copyright (c) PA Sport 2009, All Rights Reserved.

Do YOU want to write for GiveMeSport? Get started today by signing-up and submitting an article HERE: http://gms.to/writeforgms

Topics:
Football
UEFA Champions League

Article Comments

Report author of article

Please let us know if you believe this article is in violation of our editorial policy, please only report articles for one of the following reasons.

Report author

DISCLAIMER

This article has been written by a member of the GiveMeSport Writing Academy and does not represent the views of GiveMeSport.com or SportsNewMedia. The views and opinions expressed are solely that of the author credited at the top of this article. GiveMeSport.com and SportsNewMedia do not take any responsibility for the content of its contributors.

Want more content like this?

Like our GiveMeSport Facebook Page and you will get this directly to you.

Already Subscribed to Facebook, don't ask me again

Follow GiveMeSport on Twitter and you will get this directly to you.

Already Following, don't ask me again

Like our GiveMeSport Page and you will get this directly to you.

Already Subscribed to G+, don't ask me again