Steve Kean has revealed that Blackburn will be targeting a centre back in the final few weeks of the transfer window, after Chris Samba sustained a groin problem last week.
Blackburn have been relatively quiet so far this summer, spending £2.8million on transfer fees in total, on Scotland forward David Goodwillie.
And while transfer speculation has surrounded Samba possibly exiting the club before the new season begins, the 27-year-old was clearly in Kean’s plans for this weekend before he sustained his injury.
Samba is set to be assessed over the next couple of days over the extent of the problem, but looks set to miss the opening match against Wolves on Saturday.
"Chris has a niggling groin injury and I think it'll have to be looked at,” Kean said. "We'll get a full scan on that early this week as it keeps recurring which is a bit disappointing.
"We are always hopeful because we have got a fantastic medical team. If he is touch and go then I am sure he will be out there.”
Kean admitted that the injury has made Blackburn’s work this summer ever clearer, with the side now stepping up their pursuit of reinforcements in defence.
He added: "It does make the search for a centre back a little bit more important but that has always been the case.
"Even if Chris had been playing and fit we have always been searching for a centre back because we haven't replaced Phil Jones yet and we want to make sure we have good competition for places.
"If Gael Givet or Grant Hanley get injured then we don't have a centre-back because Ryan [Nelsen] is still injured. We certainly need another centre back.”
And Kean insisted that the club have gone so far as to make an offer for an unnamed player.
He said: "The search is going well. We are quite close. An offer has been put in and we are trying to progress that although it is slow. The good news is it hasn't been rejected so we are moving forward."
(PA Pic ref: Christopher Samba – 10722171
(quote) It does make the search for a centre back a little bit more important Steve Kean