Arsenal and England midfielder Jack Wilshere faces a further two months out of action due to the ankle injury which has blighted his summer.
Wilshere had been hoping to be back in action by now, after suffering the injury in June. The 19-year-old was thought to have recovered by late July but he limped off after just seven minutes of Arsenal's Emirates Cup match with New York Red Bulls.
He then suffered a setback in training last month, and was forecast to miss "two or three weeks" by manager Arsene Wenger. However Wilshere is now not expected back until November.
An Arsenal spokesman said on Sunday: "He will be out for a couple more months, he needs to rest and then we will see where he's at."
Wilshere is wearing a protective boot to guard the affected right ankle, which Wenger claims was first injured when the youngster was on England duty against Switzerland.
Wenger won his running battle with England Under-21 counterpart Stuart Pearce over Wilshere's selection for the summer's European Championships in Denmark, but the rest he was able to enjoy in the close season was not sufficient to cure the ankle problem.
He will now miss crucial matches for club and country, including England's final Euro 2012 qualifying group game in Montenegro next month, and Champions League and Premier League fixtures with Arsenal.
Speaking just prior to Arsenal confirming Wilshere would need an extended break, his club colleague Theo Walcott expressed hope the teenager would be able to return sooner than in two months' time.
Walcott said at an England press conference: "Jack's a very important player for us. It's a shame he's had this ankle problem.
"But he's a bright lad - he'll be back as soon as he can. Fingers crossed it's going to be a bit sooner than that [two months]. He'll have to get back as soon as possible. We're going to miss him but he's professional enough to get on with it."
Copyright (c) PA Sport 2009, All Rights Reserved.