Manchester City striker Carlos Tevez has denied refusing to play against Bayern Munich in Tuesday night's Champions League match in a statement released to Press Association Sport.
Tevez angered manager Roberto Mancini when he appeared to refuse to leave the substitutes' bench and take the field during the second-half with City trailing 2-0. Mancini later claimed the Argentinian would never play for him at City again before saying he would consult the club's owner about the way forward.
But Tevez on Wednesday morning claimed he did not refuse to play and also said he was ready to fulfil his obligations to the club. Tevez said in his statement "I would like to apologise to all Manchester City fans, with whom I have always had a strong relationship, for any misunderstanding that occurred in Munich."
He added: "They understand that when I am on the pitch I have always given my best for the club. In Munich on Tuesday I had warmed up and was ready to play. This is not the right time to get into specific details as to why this did not happen. But I wish to state that I never refused to play.
"There was some confusion on the bench and I believe my position may have been misunderstood. Going forward I am ready to play when required and to fulfil my obligations."
Mancini said on Wednesday night he would speak with Manchester City chairman Khaldoon al-Mubarak in the next few days to decide what to do. Mancini intended to introduce Tevez as a substitute for the final half an hour.
However, in a move that seems certain to trigger his eventual departure from the club, the 27-year-old appeared to simply say: "No."
"In the next days, we will speak with Khaldoon," said Mancini.
"It is normal. He is the chairman. He decides everything. If I decided, yes (he would leave). He wanted to leave last year. I helped him for two years every time. He refused to play.
"I cannot accept this behaviour from him. I decide the substitutions, not Carlos."
Copyright (c) PA Sport 2009, All Rights Reserved.