Roberto Mancini says Carlos Tevez is finished at Manchester City if he has his way following what he claims was a refusal by the Argentinian to come on as a substitute in the club's 2-0 Champions League defeat to Bayern Munich on Tuesday evening.
Edin Dzeko was replaced by Nigel de Jong in the second half and soon after the City boss asked Tevez to warm up, but Mancini claims he refused to do as he had been asked. Mancini now believes Tevez's position at the club is untenable.
Asked if Tevez was finished at City, Mancini said: "I don't decide this, but if I did, then yes. I helped Carlos for two years but I cannot accept this behaviour."
Tevez, speaking through an interpreter, gave little away.
In an interview with Sky Sports News he said: "I have been professional during all my time here. Last season I was the top scorer and I wanted to leave for family reasons - but I keep trying to do my best."
Tevez has had a tempestuous couple of years at City but this marks a new low. Mancini is clearly fuming and it is difficult to see how there can be any way back for the 27-year-old now.
"He just refused to go on. I don't know why," said Mancini.
"I cannot be happy with this situation. Would something like this happen at Bayern Munich, AC Milan or Manchester United? I am the manager. I decide everything.
"I have helped him every time for two years, he has wanted to leave but I still picked him. The thing is there were still 30 minutes until the end of the game. We could still change it.
"Carlos didn't play at the start of the season because he has not had a pre-season for three years. He was not ready to play. If it was another player may be this could happen but for a player to refuse to go on in an important game like this is not right."
Copyright (c) PA Sport 2009, All Rights Reserved.