Football

Bothroyd backing Ferdinand

Ferdinand starred on the weekend for QPR. (©GettyImages)
Ferdinand starred on the weekend for QPR. (©GettyImages).

Jay Borthroyd has offered support to Anton Ferdinand as controversy continues to surround the defender regarding a racial allegation made against John Terry.

Two weeks ago, Terry was caught on camera allegedly saying derogatory comments towards Ferdinand. The issue is now in the hands of the FA, with both parties involved making a final statement on the matter on Monday.

And through the difficult period, Bothroyd believes that Ferdinand couldn’t have acted in a more professional manner, with the 26-year-old continuing to star for QPR at the weekend.

"Anton has been top class," Bothroyd told The Times. "What happened last week was a bit of a downer but if he dwells on that, he will do a disservice to himself.

"He just can't dwell on that negativity, he just needs to go out there and play as well as he can do.

"He's been very professional, he doesn't want to talk or gossip about it. He knows that's how Chinese whispers start. He's letting the FA deal with it and just concentrating on his game."

Bothroyd also said he wasn’t going to get involved in the divisive situation, with the striker allowing the investigation to take its course.

"All my friends and family have been asking me about it but I don't like talking about it and I don't say much," he explained.

"People can make their own opinions from what they see on television. I'm not going to comment on it because I don't want to get in trouble. It's an incident between two individuals and now it's out of their hands because there's an investigation."

Topics:
Football
Anton Ferdinand
Premier League
Queens Park Rangers
Jay Bothroyd

Article Comments

Trending

Read more