Rangers forward Nikica Jelavic is reportedly ‘desperate’ to force through a move to Everton before the January transfer window shuts on Tuesday, according to the Daily Record.
The paper also reveals that Everton boss David Moyes has made an offer for the wantaway Croatian forward, believed to be worth £4.5 million - a figure that falls well short of £7 million West Ham offered last week.
BBC Scotland reported Rangers turned the offer from the Championship club down in the hope of receiving an offer that matched their valuation of around £8 million for the former Rapid Vienna player.
However they may be forced to sell Jelavic for a reduced fee as the end of the transfer window nears, with the player said to be determined to get the deal done while making it clear he would not be happy to remain in Scotland beyond Janaury.
The Record quotes an insider at Rangers as saying: “Nikica is very close to his agent and he has made it clear to him that Everton is the move he wants.
“Rangers could be left with a very unhappy player on their hands unless (Rangers owner) Craig Whyte is prepared to do a deal.”
Cash strapped Everton are looking to spend the fee they recouped from selling Diniyar Bilyaletdinov to Spartak Moscow last week, with Moyes said to be a long-term admirer having tried to sign him in 2010.
Moyes is keen to improve his forward options before the window shuts on Tuesday, with Jelavic proving his prowess in front of goal having found the net 17 times this season.
Goal.com suggests West Ham may come back in with an improved £8 million offer for Jelavic, but with Everton and the Premier League the preferred destination for the Rangers hitman, the onus is on both parties to thrash out a deal that suits all parties before the window closes.