West Ham manager Sam Allardyce has admitted defeat in the race to sign Rangers’s striker Nikica Jelavic after telling Sky Sports News that the Croatian is ‘too expensive’
Reports surfaced last week that the Hammers had tabled a £7 million offer for Jelavic which had been turned down by the Scottish club.
While West Ham were expected to go back in for the former Rapid Vienna forward with an improved offer that matched Ranger’s £8 million valuation, Allardyce has confirmed that he will not be making the move to Upton Park before the January transfer window closes on Tuesday.
The former Bolton manager told Sky Sport News on Monday: "If I'm led to believe where it is at the moment, for us it was too expensive.
"Too expensive - full stop."
When pressed for a definite answer over whether West Ham had completely dropped their interest in signing Jelavic, Allardyce replied: ‘yes’
Everton have also been linked with a move for the 26-year-old, with the player reportedly favouring a move to Goodison Park over a move elsewhere.
The Daily Record reported that the Toffees have made a bid for Jelavic that fell well short of Ranger’s valuation.
When quizzed over the possibility of bringing Jelavic to Merseyside, Everton boss David Moyes remained coy, and refused to be drawn on the speculation.
"I never talk about players at other clubs, I wouldn't do that.” Moyes told reporters.
"I don't like it and I didn't like it when I was a player and I kept hearing there were other centre-halves coming in to take my position. I wouldn't talk about players at other clubs.
"If there was any news, I would give it to you. You will need to wait until midnight tomorrow night and then we will let you know what is happening." He added.
Do YOU want to write for GiveMeSport? Get started today by signing-up and submitting an article HERE: http://gms.to/writeforgms