John Terry believes the Chelsea board will have an easy decision to make when it comes to announcing the club’s new manager in the summer – with the Blues skipper insisting interim boss Roberto di Matteo has done enough to secure the position full-time.
Chelsea have undergone a dramatic resurgence since the Italian took over from Andre Villas-Boas in March, with victory in the FA Cup final over Liverpool on Saturday coming after he helped guide the west London club to a place in the Champions League final last month.
While a place in the top four looks out of their reach after a 2-0 defeat against Newcastle last week, Terry believes that Di Matteo has shown he is the right man to take over at Stamford Bridge.
“It's a decision the board are going to make and hopefully with this win we can go on and achieve greatness in this club,” he told Sky Sports.
"We can make it very easy for the board because he's been exceptional. I think this win can help us win the Champions League with the momentum it gives us."
Along with Di Matteo, Didier Drogba’s future hangs in the balance, with the Ivorian striker out of contract at the end of the season.
Drogba has been heavily linked with a move to join former Blues team-mate Nicolas Anelka in China, but Terry is hopeful that the club will agree a new deal with the 34-year-old, who scored against Liverpool at Wembley.
“It will be such a shame because he's been incredible for this club," he said.
"Throughout the world, when people look at Chelsea, they think of Didier and Lamps (Frank Lampard) and these kind of players. They are Chelsea.
"Didi loves the club. We've got a massive Champions League game in a couple of weeks and, after that, hopefully something can be thrashed out and he stays."