Football

France boss hits out at Wenger

Deschamps has hit out at Wenger (©GettyImages)
Deschamps has hit out at Wenger (©GettyImages).

Didier Deschamps has responded to Arsene Wenger’s claims that Abou Diaby should not have featured for Les Blues in a World Cup qualifying game in which the Gunners midfielder picked up the knock that has ruled out for three weeks.

Wenger admitted yesterday that he believed Diaby shouldn’t have featured in France’s game against Finland last month, with the injury-prone midfielder returning from international duty carrying a hip injury.

That caused him to miss Arsenal’s win against Southampton but he returned to action to face Montpellier in the Champions League, only to limp off in the 2-1 defeat against Chelsea last weekend.

The 26-year-old faces a further three weeks on the sidelines and yesterday Wenger laid the blame for his absence at the door of Deschamps and the French Football Federation.

“I said many times that if France wanted Diaby in Spain (for the World Cup qualifier on October 16) they should not take him for (the qualifiers against) Finland and Belarus,' he said.

“They could have taken him but not played him because the guy has been out for a year, played four or five games.

“You have a breather, give him two weeks to recover completely. I think it was a mistake to play him with the French national team.'

However Deschamps has hit back at Wenger ahead of their game against Japan next week, and said the Arsenal boss has no say in who he picks to play for France.

"I want to remind him that I am the only one to decide who will be picked and how long those who are picked will play,” he said. "There is only one to decide and it's me,"

Deschamps named his squad for the game against Japan next week as well as for their upcoming World Cup qualifier against Spain, with Manchester City midfielder Samir Nasri left out.

Topics:
Arsenal
Football
Premier League
Samir Nasri

Article Comments

Trending

Read more