Mario Balotelli is ready to reclaim his place in the Manchester City side, according to the club's defensive coach Angelo Gregucci.
Sky Sports reports how the Italian striker was completely omitted from Roberto Mancini's squad that beat Tottenham 2-1 at the Etihad Stadium last weekend, prompting a raft of speculation about the 22-year-old's future with the reigning Premier League champions.
There had been some suggestions that Balotelli could be sold in January, after another alleged falling out with the Citizens boss, who has continued to favour Argentine duo Carlos Tevez and Sergio Aguero in attack, with this season's top scorer Edin Dzeko coming off the bench.
However, Balotelli impressed for Italy in their friendly against France on Wednesday, despite the Azzurri suffering a 2-1 defeat, and Gregucci says he is ready to fight for a spot in the first-team.
"Mario gave a great contribution (for Italy) and I saw in him the right attitude and behaviour," he told Sky Sport Italy. "Mancini has chosen to give him a signal, and it is his right to make choices.
"Perhaps during the last week something was missing, but Mario is ready to take back the Manchester City shirt."
Balotelli's former club Inter Milan have been credited with an interest in re-signing the enigmatic forward - who has been linked with a return to Serie A - as have their inner city rivals, AC Milan.
Asked for his opinion on the striker's future Gregucci added: "Will he stay? It's not up to me to say. I just know that he is definitely redeemable. He has 22 years of talent and quality.
"He is a resource of our football club. He will give his contribution to the national team and to City."