Fernando Torres is in danger of being dropped from Chelsea’s Champions League squad altogether after he revealed his desire to leave Stamford Bridge and head back to Spain, according to the Daily Mail.
Torres is still struggling to find his best form for Chelsea, and has so far only struck four goals in 12 league appearances this season.
The Spaniard failed to fire yet again as Chelsea suffered their second Premier League defeat of the season on Saturday, a 2-1 loss against West Brom that leaves the Stamford Bridge-based club four points adrift of league leaders Manchester City.
Reports last week suggested Chelsea owner Roman Abramovich has grown tired of Torred’ failures since his £50 million switch in 2011 and was ready to offload him and bring in Atletico Madrid forward Radamel Falcao.
Torres has been handed the job of leading the Chelsea line after the departure of Didier Drogba over the summer, but hasn’t been able to replicate the form that made him so deadly at Liverpool.
Chelsea boss Roberto di Matteo, who is said to be fighting to keep hold of his job amidst more speculation linking Pep Guardiola with manager’s hot seat, admitted that he was a fan of Falcao, and that ‘any manager’ would love to sign him.
Now the Mail report that Torres has grown tired about the speculation that surrounds his future and has told his employers that he wants to return to Spain in order to help him recapture his best form.
The paper also reports there is a chance that the former Atletico Madrid striker could be used as part of a deal that could see Falcao head to Stamford Bridge.
The Colombian has a £48 million release clause in his contract, and with the impending arrival of Financial Fair Play, Chelsea may be more open to a swap deal in order to lower his cost rather than pay his transfer fee outright.
However that deal may have to wait until the summer as Atletico challenge for the title in Spain, and Chelsea attempt to do something similar in England.