Fernando Torres says he is happy at Chelsea now that his former manager at Liverpool, Rafa Benitez, has taken over at Stamford Bridge and changed the west London club's style to suit his needs.

Torres has consistently struggled to find his best form since moving to Chelsea in 2011 for £50 million, and appeared on the verge of leaving in the days leading up to manager Roberto di Matteo’s sacking last month.

While Torres showed no immediate signs of improvement following Benitez being announced as the new Blues boss, four goals in his last two games hint at something of a resurgence under the man who helped him carve out a fearsome reputation at Anfield.

The striker’s double against Nordsjaelland in the Champions League proved to be in vain as Chelsea crashed out at the group stages, however two goals against Sunderland helped the west London club to only their second league win since October 20.

“We are playing a bit differently,” the 28-year-old said of Chelsea’s recent upturn in fortunes. “We don't pass the ball as much as we did before in the final third of the pitch and we try to play more direct and explode the players forward with Victor Moses or me or Eden Hazard on the left.

"We are using the quality of Oscar or Mata in the middle and we are attacking more and making more chances.

"We are working as a team, as we did in the beginning of the season with Robbie [Di Matteo], but normally it takes some time when a new manager arrives and changes things like this, but the results last Wednesday and on Saturday are going to give us more confidence, the only thing we need now," he added.

Chelsea now travel to Japan for the Club World Cup where they face Mexican club side Monterry ahead of a potential final showdown against Brazilian’s Corinthians or African champions Al-Ahly.

Topics:
#Chelsea
#Premier League
#Fernando Torres
Flag article