Arsenal and Manchester City are set to do battle in the race to sign Wilfried Zaha, according to fresh reports.
The 20-year-old winger – who won his first cap for England in the recent friendly defeat to Sweden – has been linked with a string of top Premier League clubs in recent weeks, with Manchester United and Chelsea both said to be monitoring the player’s progress as recently as the weekend.
However, The Sun now claims it’s the Gunners and Citizens who are going head-to-head for the player’s signature, with Arsene Wenger ‘confident’ of securing a January deal to bring the player to the Emirates Stadium, according to a club source.
Indeed, the Frenchman was questioned on the Crystal Palace starlet in his press conference earlier today (Tuesday), and whilst Wenger confirmed that Zaha is of interest, the Arsenal boss tried to play down the speculation.
"He is not more on the list than anybody else," said Wenger, according to Goal.com.
The report in The Sun goes on to claim that Arsenal hope to secure the player’s services for a fee in the region of £10 million plus add-ons, which is less than the previously quoted figure of £20 million.
The Citizens chief was also said to be willing to let the player move back to south-east London on loan in January, as Ian Holloway chases promotion to the Premier League.
Were Zaha to move to the Etihad Stadium, he’d be joining a strong core of English players on the books, with internationals James Milner, Gareth Barry and Joleon Lescott featuring regularly for Manchester City in recent seasons.
Do YOU want to write for GiveMeSport? Get started today by signing-up and submitting an article HERE: http://gms.to/writeforgms