Tottenham Hotspur are being linked with a summer move for Belgian striker Christian Benteke.
The nine-cap international has been impressive in the Premier League this season, scoring five goals in 16 appearances for struggling Aston Villa after completing a £7 million move from Genk in the summer.
Having represented the Pro League side before moving to the Midlands in the early stages of the season, Benteke would not be allowed to represent another club in the current campaign because of FIFA rules - ending any chance of a January switch.
But, having kept England international Darren Bent out of the line-up at Villa Park, other Premier League clubs appear to be taking notice of the powerful forward's pedigree.
The Guardian claims Spurs boss Andre Villas-Boas has identified the Congolese-born 22-year-old as a potential addition, and spoke kindly about the former Standard Liege starlet ahead of their domestic clash yesterday.
"Eight goals so far…I think he is surprising everybody," said the Tottenham Hotspur manager, according to the paper.
"To his credit, he has come up strong. He has strong competition from [Darren] Bent. I think Paul Lambert [the Villa manager] was courageous in his decision to persist with a player that he got so well in the transfer market so credit to them. But it is good to see him up there."
Compatriot Jan Vertonghen, part of the Spurs defence this season, also spoke positively about the striker, and is unsurprised that he’s been a success in the English top flight.
"It doesn't surprise me that he has done well. He now feels the confidence of the team, the crowd and manager, and the last two or three games for the national team he was very, very good. He is very good in the air and he can score,” said Vertonghen.
Benteke was unable to prevent his current side from going down to defeat against Tottenham Hotspur yesterday (Wednesday), with the White Hart Lane outfit completing a convincing 4-0 win on their travels thanks to a hat-trick from winger Gareth Bale.