Villas-Boas: No January deal for German midfielder
Tottenham transfer news: Lewis Holtby not joining in January
Tottenham manager Andre Villas-Boas says the club are not looking to bring Schalke midfielder Lewis Holtby to White Hart Lane in the January transfer window, but will wait for him to join in the summer.
Spurs announced last week that they had agreed a pre-contract with the German midfielder, whose deal with Schalke expires at the end of the season, and reports suggested they may even move to get Holtby on the cheap this month.
Villas-Boas, however, is not interested in exploring the possibility of Spurs signing Holtby in January and is content the players he currently has at White Hart Lane can do the job this season.
"When you reach an agreement with a player that is a free transfer in the summer, there is always that possibility, but it is not something we are looking to do," the Spurs boss told his Friday press conference.
Tottenham, meanwhile, are also being linked with a move for Sevilla striker Alvaro Negredo, with the north London club in need of goalscoring reinforcements.
Emmanuel Adebayor has gone the Africa Cup of Nations with Togo, leaving Jermaine Defoe as the only senior striker currently available to Spurs.