Big-spending Russian side Anzhi Makhachkala are targeting a move for Chelsea outcast Florent Malouda, according to talkSPORT.
Malouda was told he is surplus to requirements at Stamford Bridge under Roberto di Matteo earlier in the season, with him being told to train with the reserves.
This situation continued after Rafa Benitez was installed as Blues interim manager until the end of the season – the report even claims Benitez is yet to meet with the former France international, despite being in charge for nearly two months.
Malouda’s nightmare may be over soon, however, as the report claims Anzhi are preparing a £1million bid for the 32-year-old and are ready to offer him an 18-month deal.
The club from Dagestan are in the middle of a title tussle in the Russian Premier League and could see Malouda’s vast experience as a useful commodity as the race goes into its final stretch when the league resumes after winter in early March.
Chelsea signed Malouda for £13million from Ligue 1 side Lyon in the summer of 2007 and he is likely to have his wages matched in Russia.
Anzhi owner Suleyman Kerimov has pumped millions into the club since purchasing it in 2011, most notably making Cameroon star Samuel Eto’o reportedly the highest paid player in world football at the time.
However, poor results at Chelsea may force Benitez to look for different options and Malouda was included in the revised 25-man squad following the January transfer window.
Anzhi are still able to make signings as the Russian transfer window does not close until Tuesday night and there are a number of want away Premier League stars, like Malouda, that could yet secure transfers.
Chelsea suffered a damaging 3-2 loss away at Newcastle United on Saturday after coming from behind to lead 2-1 in the second half.
It means they are now just a point ahead of Tottenham in fourth and only four ahead of fifth-placed Everton.