England head coach Stuart Lancaster has declared that England will keep building their young team towards the 2015 Rugby World Cup despite the demolition handed to them by Wales on Saturday.
Wales cruised to a 30-3 victory at the Millennium Stadium to crush England's Grand Slam hopes and in the process retain the championship crown. However, Lancaster believes its only a minor blip for his young side.
Lancaster told the Manchester Evening News: “I do believe the journey we are on and the plan we have is the right one.
“We had a lot of over 30-year-olds at the 2011 World Cup and we needed to develop new players.
“We have had more ups than downs. This is a down but we will hold our nerve and stick with the plan because I believe it will come good."
The England coach also revealed that the players had been disenchanted by the Wales defeat and admitted the lack of experience ultimately told.
Lancaster added: "The players are hugely disappointed. They feel they have let themselves down, that they have let the country down and it is a difficult place to be.
“I try and pull them back to the perspective that we had fewer than 300 caps going into a game of this magnitude and how much we have developed in the last 14 months. There is still an upward curve.”
Lancaster also believes that the upcoming British and Irish Lions tour to Australia will not be a burden for England when they travel to Argentina in the summer.
He said: "I’m hoping we will lose some players to the Lions, which will give us a chance to bring other lads in.
“What we need to create with England is greater strength in depth.”