Japanese carmaker Honda have confirmed they will return to F1 in 2015 as engine supplier to the McLaren team, ending what will be a seven year absence from the sport.
After months of speculation the deal was finally made public on Wednesday with McLaren team boss Martin Whitmarsh making the announcement in Tokyo.
Whitmarsh told reporters: "We're proud and thrilled to be joining forces once more to take on the world in formula one.
This will not be the first time Honda and McLaren team up, they were together when McLaren dominated F1 in the late 1980’s and early 1990’s when Alain Prost and Ayrton Senna were at the team.
Honda had been a works team in F1 but pulled out at the end of 2008 due to the financial crisis hitting the world, at the time however they had created a car for the 2009 season and then team boss Ross Brawn bought the team, named it Brawn GP and famously won the 2009 title with Jenson Button.
Now the team is racing under the Mercedes name after the German manufacturer bought the team from Brawn at the end of 2009.
Since the announcement McLaren have keenly stressed they will work “diligently and professionally” with current partners Mercedes, the pair have been together since 1997 and while this year marks the final year of their partnership, McLaren will remain a customer using Mercedes engines next year as the sport switches to V6 turbo power.
Honda president Takanobu Ito said at the announcement: "We have the greatest respect for the FIA's decision to introduce these new regulations"
Write for GiveMeSport! Sign-up to the GMS Writing Academy here: http://bit.ly/12nAsNY
DISCLAIMER: This article has been written by a member of the GiveMeFootball Writing Academy and does not represent the views of GiveMeFootball.com or SportsNewMedia. The views and opinions expressed are solely that of the author credited at the top of this article. GiveMeFootball.com and SportsNewMedia do not take any responsibility for the content of its contributors.